How to Have a Disappointing German Bay Area Brunch:
1) Go to Schmidt’s.
2) Wonder why it is so empty on a Saturday around noon.
3) Wait a long time for menus or for anything to drink. This will give you plenty of time to check out the white columns, wooden tables, blackboards with drink offerings, and dark bookshelf with beer steins and other German knickknacks.
4) Order and enjoy the crisply edged buttery Waffle. Do not enjoy the rest of the plate which consisted of a few blueberries, one lone strawberry cut into slices, and underripe pieces of honeydew next to a pile of whipped cream.
5) Take a bite of the greasy, salty, overcooked Omelette with fatty bits of bacon, chunks of potato, and slices of sausage.
6) Have an inattentive server place the check on your table BEFORE asking if you wanted anything else. (Well I guess I won’t be ordering dessert after all!) 🙁
2400 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA 94110